Hot Caramelized Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Spread (serves 8)
- Cooking spray
- 3 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 TB chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan lightly with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
Reserve 2 TB cheese. Combine remaining cheese, caramelized onion, 1 TB chives and the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Transfer the mixture to a 1 quart glass or ceramic baking dish coated lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with reserved 2 TB cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 TB chives.