Friday, December 21, 2012

Sweet Popcorn Mix

I could say that my family comes from a long line of bakers and the pressure is just too high to present beautiful cookies, however, the long line is really just one--my Grandma Gorscak. She worked in catering for years and as her grandchild, I was treated to various cakes and unique cookies over the years. From ladylochs to Serbian cookies with jam, her desserts never disappointed. While many of her recipes have been shared and my aunt has made some of them at the holiday times, I have yet to attempt them myself. For fear of not doing them justice. 

We celebrated her 90th birthday earlier this month and several guests had mentioned her amazing baked goods, further solidifying that I wasn't the only one to benefit from her treats.

So in my continuing series that I like to call "Why I opt to make cookies at the holidays" I present another simple sweet snack. This is a great gift to bag up for friends, which is exactly what I did.

Sweet Popcorn Mix

 
 
Ingredients/Directions:
 
First, in a large roaster, combine:
6-8 cups of popcorn (large microwave bag makes 5 cups)
1.5 cups of peanuts
2-3 cups of Cherrios
2-3 cups of Crispix
 
Set aside.

Second, in a small pot, combine the following & bring to a boil for 5 minutes (do not stir)
1 stick margarine
1/4 cup of white Karo syrup
1 cup of sugar

Remove from heat & quickly stir in
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of baking soda

Drizzle the liquid mixture over popcorn/cereal mix.
Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stir every 15 minutes.
 
Let cool and then serve, or package in bags for friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment