Orange Chilli Chicken Lettuce Cups (serves 4-6 as an appetizer)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB rice wine vinegar
- 1 TB sesame oil
- Peanut oil, for deep frying
- 2 oz dried rice vermicelli noodles, broken up
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 iceberg or romaine lettuce
For the sauce
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB teriyaki sauce
- 1 TB mild-hot chili sauce
- 2 TB hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 tsp cornflour
Mix together the chicken, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil, cover and refrigerate.
Half-fill the wok with oil and heat to moderately hot. Add the rice noodles in small batches, and fry for 1-2 seconds, or until puffed. Remove and rain on paper towels.
To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients and stir until the cornflour has dissolved. Set aside.
Heat a little peanut oil in a wok or large pan. Add the chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Add the red pepper, water chestnuts, spring onion and ginger to the pan, toss for 1-2 minutes. Add the sauce to the pan and stir for another minute. Remove from the heat and mix in the noodles, reserving a few for garnish.
Form the lettuce leaves into cups. Fill cups with chicken and sprinkle with the reserved noodles on top.