Sunday, August 4, 2013

Homemade Marinara and Meatballs

There are plenty of jarred sauces out there. However, I think when you have a little time to kill, it's worth it to make a homemade sauce.

I have made this sauce a few times, and every time it turn out a bit differently. It makes for a small army, so I suggest having company over for this. It also freezes amazingly well. I will be breaking out some of the frozen sauce in the coming weeks as I continue to pack my lunch daily.

I've posted this on here before, but I'm reposting because I've made some adjustments to how I make it, improving it a bit, in my book at least.


Ingredients:
  • Olive oil
  • 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • fresh chopped parsley (guesstimate, I have no idea how much I ended up using)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 TB oregano
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Fresh basil (approximately 1/4 cup)
  • 3 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes (plum, preferably) in sauce
  • 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
  • 2 carrots (cut up)
  • 1 TB salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 3 sweet Italian sausage links
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking soda
Directions:

Put olive oil in large cooking pot, put enough in to cover the bottom of the pan. Put the chopped garlic and chopped onions in and simmer until light brown color.

Add the 3 cans of tomatoes in sauce. Also add tomato sauce and mix. Add the cut up carrots, which help cut the acidity in the sauce.

Next add the salt and chopped parsley. Add basil leaves and oregano to the sauce. Add bay leaves and 1/2 tsp sugar in the gravy. Simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the ground beef, eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt and a little pepper. Sprinkle in the garlic and onion powders. Mix up and make into meatballs. Put the meatballs into a frying pan coated in olive oil and brown each side. This should take approximately 5 minutes. Then add meatballs to the sauce.

Add sausage to the sauce. It should naturally crumble during the course of cooking. The meat can probably sit in the sauce for up to 1 1/2 hours as it simmers.

Enjoy over your favorite pasta. I like to serve with fresh shredded parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment