Sunday, November 9, 2014

Thai Green Curry with Shrimp and Kale

Like most people I know in DC, I have a weakness for great Asian takeout. I'm fortunate that there are a good number of places for Thai and Vietnamese in my neighborhood, and a new Laotian restaurant is going in right around the corner from my condo.

Not only do I like to order from any number of these places, I like to make my own Asian takeout. Because I cook with Asian flavors a lot, I usually have a stockpile of the ingredients necessary to whip up a dish pretty easily. As mentioned in previous blog posts, my neighborhood CSA presents me with a regular opportunity to support Pennsylvania farmers, while enjoying great seasonal vegetables. This week's offering included baby kale so this recipe was a no brainer.

Thai Green Curry with Shrimp and Kale (serves 4)


Ingredients:
  • 6 oz. dried rice noodles
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 TB chopped fresh garlic
  • 1 TB chopped fresh ginger
  • 2 TB Thai green curry paste
  • 1 1/4 cups matchstick-cut carrots
  • 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
  • 1 13.5 oz. can light coconut milk
  • 6 cups chopped kale
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tsp. grated lime rind
  • 1 1/2 tsp. lime juice

Directions:

Cook rice noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions,garlic, and ginger. Saute 1 minute. Stir in curry paste, saute for 30 seconds. Add carrots, chicken stock, and coconut milk, stirring well to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.

Fold in kale, sprinkle with salt. Cook 3 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through. Remove from heat, top with cilantro, lime rind and juice. Serve over the rice noodles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment