Monday, January 26, 2015

Slow Cooker Butter Chicken

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a big fan of make-your-own-takeout. Not only is it economical, but I also think that many Asian dishes are pretty easy to make, and I often have most of the spices and necessary ingredients in my cupboard. From curry powder to garam masala to ginger, most have similar flavor profiles which make the dishes easy to make and in my opinion, not too difficult to mess up.

One thing that I hadn't attempted before in making my own Asian carryout was to use a slow cooker. Two weekends ago I found I had a craving, a slow-cooker, and a cooking partner in crime. The result was this lighter version of a butter chicken that makes enough to feed a small army.

Slow Cooker Butter Chicken (serves 8)


Ingredients:

  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 (14-oz.) can light coconut milk
  • 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
  • 2 TB whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. garam masala
  • 1 tsp. curry powder 
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (I like my dishes a little hot, so I think this helped with the flavor)
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder, or more, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 TB chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, tomato paste, flour, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder and ginger powder until well combined and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Place chicken into a slow cooker. Add sauce mixture and gently toss to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.

Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired. We made with brown rice for a healthy lunch that also froze pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete