Friday, June 14, 2013

Mint Pesto

Last weekend, I ran my second 5K. Correction: I ran most of my second 5K. Due to a crazy crowd, having to stand way too long to wait, etc., I came up with a variety of reasons as to why I didn't run the whole damn thing. But one thing I didn't skimp out on was carb-loading the night before. So it was only a 5K. So what. I still wanted an excuse to gorge on some pasta, which I don't do very often.  So I made this mint pesto recipe that I've made a few times before, just never featured on this blog. It comes from my buddy Nick at www.macheesmo.com, who is always coming up with interesting takes on very simple dishes. This is a typical pesto recipe, but you swap the basil for mint. And it's great.

Mint Pesto (serves 4)

Ingredients:
  
  • 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh mint   
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley   
  • 2 TB pine nuts   
  • 3 cloves garlic   
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese   
  • 1/3 cup olive oil 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste 

Directions:

Wash the mint and parsley well. Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes in a dry pan.

Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until they resemble a coarse paste.Taste the pesto and adjust the flavors. It might need a bit more oil or salt and pepper.

Toss pesto with hot pasta and serve with extra Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment