Friday, March 16, 2012

Maple-Mustard Glazed Chicken

So I've been a bit quiet on the blog this week as I've gone back to my social butterfly ways after a quiet February, which has made it harder to keep up with regular posting. But I assure you I have been cooking per usual, even making my stout cupcakes again this evening for St. Patty's Day festivities tomorrow. Earlier this week I made this recipe, which is pretty easy and relatively healthy. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt that I served it with steamed asparagus. I made enough for several lunches this week which always comes in handy when you have a few liquid dinners during the week. :)

On a side note, I really feel that the grain mustard is what makes the dish. I'm sure you could use regular dijon mustard, but the grittiness of the ground mustard gives it a nice texture.

Maple-Mustard Glazed Chicken (serves 4)


Ingredients

  • 2 tsp olive oil 
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 TB cider vinegar
  • 1 TB stone-ground mustard

Directions

Preheat oven to 400°.

Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat.

Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Add chicken to pan; sauté 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.

Add broth, syrup, thyme, and garlic to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vinegar and mustard; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Return chicken to pan, and spoon mustard mixture over chicken. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment