Friday, February 22, 2013

Mini Veggie-Frittata Cups

I tend to eat my breakfast at my desk around 9:30/10 a.m. I just can't get it together enough to eat before work and I'm usually not that hungry when I first get up.

Two weeks ago, I was looking for an eas and healthy breakfast that was protein-heavy, low-carb, full of veggies, and portable to take to work. I have made very-mini fritattas before that included bacon and potato, which are awesome, but these contain no meat and are equally awesome. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true. This recipe makes a ton of them, so I froze a bunch and hope to eat the rest once my stomach is back up to eating things other than simple carbs.

Mini Veggie-Frittata Cups (Makes 16 mini-cups)

Ingredients:

  • cooking spray
  • 6 large eggs
  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
  • 1 cup canned artichoke hearts, not in oil or marinate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 roasted red peppers (packed in water), chopped
  • 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese, room temperature

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 8-hole muffin pans with cooking spray (or use one 12-hole pan and four holes from another muffin pan).

In a medium bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, water, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in spinach, artichoke hearts, feta, roasted peppers, scallions and cream cheese; mix well.

Spoon about 1/4-cup egg mixture into each prepared muffin hole. Bake until just set, about 18 to 22 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen edges of frittatas with a rubber spatula, sliding spatula underneath frittatas to loosen bottoms and lift frittatas out of pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment