Monday, November 4, 2013

Soba Noodles with Cumin Spiced Lamb

Even though I'm back to work, and a steady paycheck, I'm still employing some of my government shutdown practices. This includes keeping my grocery bills low and going through existing proteins in my freezer, and in this case, small amounts of boxed ingredients sitting in my cabinet. This past week, I opted to work with the 8 oz. of ground lamb I had in my freezer, in addition to some soba noodles. This was a good lunch meal...with a healthy dose of vegetables.

Soba Noodles with Cumin Spiced Lamb (serves 3-4)



Ingredients:
  • 7 oz. uncooked soba noodles
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 TB rice vinegar
  • 4 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
  • 8 oz. ground lamb
  • 1 TB dark sesame oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
  • 9 baby carrots, halved lengthwise

  • Directions:

    Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse; drain well.

    Combine chicken broth, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, garlic, and five-spice powder in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.

    Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb; cook 2 1/2 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove lamb from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside.

    Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to drippings in pan; swirl to coat. Add cumin and red pepper; cook 30 seconds or until seeds begin to pop, stirring frequently. Add vegetables to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add lamb and broth mixture; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until liquid is slightly reduced. Serve over noodles.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment