Monday, December 9, 2013

Delicata Squash and Kale

As I mentioned last week, I joined a CSA. I purchased some familiar items, like Bosc Pears and Apple Butter, but I also opted to order a delicate squash. Mainly because it looked pretty. And I'm pretty sure I had tried one recently at the Columbia Heights Farmers Market and enjoyed the flavor. So I went on the hunt for a recipe that included this, and baby kale, which I had also picked up. There were a surprising number of these combinations out there, but I settled on a very simple side dish. It was a nice departure from green beans, which I've been cooking a lot of lately. I imagine any type of acorn squash would work for this dish. I served this alongside broiled salmon.

Delicata Squash and Kale (serves 2 as a side dish)

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium Delicata squashes (about 1 lb) halved lengthwise & seeded
  • 1/2 TB plus 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 TB balsamic vinegar
  • 1 TB honey
  • 3 oz. kale, large stems removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 small shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 TB red-wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp coarse salt
  • Freshly ground pepper

  • Directions:

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash into 1/2 inch thick semicircles. Toss with 1/2 tsp olive oil and spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until just tender, about 15-18 minutes. 

    Mix together the balsamic vinegar & honey in a small bowl.  Brush some of the mixture onto the squash slices; reserve remaining mixture.  Bake an additional 5 minutes. 

    Meanwhile, place kale in a large bowl. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add shallot (or red onion) and garlic, and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.

    Add red-wine vinegar and remaining vinegar-honey mixture to saucepan, and bring to a boil.

    Immediately pour the hot dressing over kale, and sprinkle with salt & season with pepper.  Add squash. 

    Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand for 5 minutes.  Toss until kale wilts slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment