Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pomegranate and Spinach Salad


A few weeks back, I was planning a dinner party for two, and since most of the meal was on the heavy side, I wanted a light starter salad. I tapped my go-to "what should I make" resource for when I stopped, Nick of www.macheesmo.com, and he told me to make this salad. I had never worked with pomegranates before, but the instructions in the recipe assured me that it wasn't that tricky to work with. Where I think I struggled most was in deseeding the fruit. I submerged it in a bowl of water, but I think I opted for too shallow of a bowl. This lead to an unflattering splatter of pomegranate juice, staining parts of my kitchen and ironically landing on my knife skills book. I assured my dinner guest that this wasn't in fact the scene of a crime, just my first attempt with pomegranate.
 
The salad was a big hit and I suggest you giving it a shot while pomegranates are still in season.


Pomegranate and Spinach Salad (serves 4-6)

Ingredients:
  • 5-6 ounces baby spinach
  • 1 pomegranate, seeded
  • 6 oz. goat cheese
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
For the Dressing:
  • 1  cup raspberries
  • 3 TB balsamic vinegar
  • 2 TB honey
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Pinch of salt 
Directions:

Add raspberries to a small food processor and pulse a few times. Then add other dressing ingredients and process until mostly smooth.

Seed pomegranate by cutting it into quarters and breaking it apart under cold water. The seeds will sink and the pith will float. This might take some manuevering of the pith and the seeds, but overall it was pretty easy. Just watch for splatter!

Toss greens with a few tablespoons of dressing and coat well. Divide greens between a few plates.

Crumble goat cheese on greens and top with pom seeds and toasted walnuts.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment