Wednesday, September 5, 2012

California Turkey Burger

So this is a first...two sandwich posts in one week! But this is all part of the master plan of being economical and not wasting ingredients that can carry over into other recipes. This mainly was these wheat buns I used, but hey, my grandma taught me how to count my pennies. So no bread was harmed by prematurely being subjected to the garbage can.

Turkey burgers can be tricky to make them in a way that is flavorful and not too dried out. This recipe which is an oldie but a goodie from my friend Nick's blog (www.macheesmo.com) accomplishes this feat by adding some vegetables and herbs into the ground turkey mix and adding sliced avocado on top. I'm not sure why I resisted avocado for so long because it is my far one of my favorite ingredients this year. I also tried out the super thin-sliced cheese Sargento recently started marketing and it was just the right amount of cheese to add some flavor, without approximately 1/3 of the fat of a regular slice. How Cali of me.

California Turkey Burger (makes 3, 4-oz burgers)

 
 

Ingredients:

  • 12 oz ground turkey
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • Handful of parsley, minced
  • 1 Serrano pepper, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 oz Cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
  • Ciabatta rolls, I used wheat since that is what I had leftover
  • Avocado
  • Greens, I used arugula since that's what I had leftover

Directions:

Mince onions, parsley, garlic, and pepper. Mix with ground turkey along with salt and pepper. Form 3 patties with turkey mixture.

Grill over high heat for 5-6 minutes per side. Once the burger is just about cooked, add cheese to burger.

Grill buns until lightly charred.

Assemble burger with sliced avocado, mayo/mustard or whatever you normally like on your burgers, and greens!



No comments:

Post a Comment