Chicken with Pepperoni Sauce (serves 4)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 TB chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions:Preheat broiler to high.
Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Serve over pasta with a green salad.