Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chicken with Pepperoni Sauce

As I prepare to take my vacation, I've been trying to work through ingredients that I already had to avoid going to the grocery store and spending money on food that would likely go bad during my absence. This recipe requires few ingredients and is extremely easy to make. I made this for my parents during their visit and they commented that it would be a good meal for my brother and his wife to make, since they are short on time with the baby. I think they're right. This would be a great meal for a busy family, especially one with kids because there isn't really anything in this meal that a picky kid wouldn't like.

Chicken with Pepperoni Sauce (serves 4)


Ingredients:

  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
  • 16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
  • 2 TB chopped fresh basil
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat broiler to high.

Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.

Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

Serve over pasta with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment