Monday, April 1, 2013

Orzo and Spinach Salad

Yesterday I revisited a great tradition from 2012...family dinner with some friends in Southwest DC to watch some of our favorite HBO programming. Family dinners started with True Blood a few years ago when my good friend Drina would whip up awesome Creole and southern dishes. It evolved to the group of us watching other HBO shows, including Big Live, Boardwalk Empire, and others. The group had started to watch Game of Thrones two years ago, and while I was a late adopter to the series, I did score an invite for the season premiere this weekend.

My friend Will made a great chicken and pasta dish, not to mention his first cake. I made a light side dish that turned out pretty flavorful despite its simplicity. I'll be making this one again.

Orzo and Spinach Salad (serves 4)

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup uncooked orzo
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:

Cook orzo according to instructions on box.  Drain, and then toss into a bowl with the spinach. Mix thoroughly until the spinach starts to wilt slightly.

Add cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, salt and pepper. Toss together. Add white wine vinegar and mix together. Serve immediately.

Seriously, it's that simple. This is not great the second day, so having leftovers isn't ideal. But this is so tasty, I doubt you'll have much left over. This is great for a summer picnic or to accompany heavier main dishes.




No comments:

Post a Comment