Sunday, September 15, 2013

Baby Potatoes with Kale

A few years back, I recall the word "superfood" becoming a regular fixture in healthy eating articles. Some of these superfoods have been a regular fixture in my diet for years...berries, tea, salmon, etc. But the greens was an area that I desperately needed to explore a bit more.

I can thank some of my regular dinner companions in Columbia Heights for introducing me to kale. Sometimes they'd serve it crispy and baked with chili oil and sesame seeds. Other times it would be mixed into a power salad. For something I never really cooked with before, I was developing a taste for it. This is one of the better kale recipes I've tried in recent months, which makes for a great side dish for a group. And it takes a little less than 20 minutes to cook from start to finish.

Baby Potatoes with Kale (serves 4 as a side dish)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb sliced baby potatoes
  • 1 1/2 TB canola oil
  • 2 TB sliced garlic
  • 3 cups chopped kale
  • 1 TB water
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Directions:

Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook 8 minutes; drain.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil. Add potatoes and garlic; cook 3 minutes.

Add kale and water. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Add sesame oil, salt, and pepper; toss and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment