Sunday, April 13, 2014

Maple Blueberry Muffins

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cooking is an art, while baking is a science. I've never been good at science, and while a lot of the draw of science is the ability to experiment to come up with your desired outcome, you have to be prepared for disastrous results.

I'm happy to report that even though I had to experiment a bit with this recipe (namely because I didn't quite have enough of two of the ingredients) my improvisational skills worked out ok. Perhaps the texture of these muffins would be a bit different if I had the exact amounts of Greek yogurt and maple syrup, but I was pleased with the results. And I hope my coworkers who will get to try these tomorrow feel the same way.

I'm posting the recipe as it should be made, courtesy of my friend Nick Evans' blog, www.macheesmo.com. And did I mention that Nick wrote a cookbook? I've received my copy and will be writing about it in the coming weeks, once I've had a chance to cook from it. You should totally check it out.


Maple Blueberry Muffins (makes 12 muffins)


Ingredients:
        
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 4 TB unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 6-8 ounces blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl whisk together egg, sugar, syrup, yogurt, melted (and cooled) butter, and milk. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Wash blueberries and toss in with dry ingredients.

Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and fold the batter together. If it's very thick add a bit more milk.

Divide muffin batter between 12 muffin tins that have been lightly buttered or oiled.

Bake muffins for 25-28 minutes at 350 degrees F. Rotate the muffin pan once halfway through cooking.

Remove muffins when they are golden brown on top and around edges. Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove and eat while warm or let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment