Sunday, April 6, 2014

Vietnamese Tilapia with Turmeric and Dill

Last weekend, I traveled to Austin, Texas for several days where I ate my fair share of meat. I'll talk more about that in a blog post later this week, because there's a lot to say.

But when I returned from what I'm now referring to as the "Weekend of the Meat Sweats," I knew I need to offset some of that heavy food. So I resolved to eating fish and vegetables for the week, and decided to try this new recipe that my parents had made a week earlier. It was a good call. Not only was it flavorful, it was nice and light. Which was just what I needed.

Vietnamese Tilapia with Turmeric and Dill (serves 4)


Ingredients:
               
  • 1/4 cup sliced shallots
  • 1 TB chopped fresh dill
  • 1 TB minced garlic
  • 1 TB grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 TB fish sauce
  • 1 TB dark sesame oil
  • 1 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets                              
  • 2 TB peanut oil
  • Cooking spray                               
  • 4 cups vertically sliced sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup torn fresh dill, divided
  • 4 green onions, cut into (2-inch) pieces
  • 1 TB soy sauce 
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, crushed
  • 8 lemon wedges.


  • Directions:

    Combine first eight ingredients, through the black pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add fish; toss to coat. Cover and chill 2 hours.

    Remove fish from marinade; discard marinade and solids. Combine fish and peanut oil in a bowl; toss to coat.

    Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, 1/4 cup dill, and green onions; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add soy sauce and sugar; stir-fry 1 minute. Arrange onion mixture on a platter.

    Return pan to high heat. Add half of fish to pan; cook 3 minutes. Turn fish over; cook 1 minute or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Place fish on platter over onion mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining fish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup dill and peanuts. Serve with lemon wedges.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment