Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Orzo with Chickpea Salad

Summertime in DC means countless of opportunities to picnic outdoors. From the Sunday drum circles in the park near my condo to the outdoor movie nights throughout the city, I regularly have picnic food on the brain. A few weeks back I went to the first Screen on the Green of the season. This annual tradition features four weeks of free movie classics on the National Mall. This year's offering included The Karate Kid, so it was a no brainer that I would attend for some Wax On/Wax Off action.

We had beautiful weather for it and I decided to make one of my favorite picnic side salads, an orzo with chickpea dish. I've posted about this dish before when I first started this blog, but it's so nice I'll post twice. This holds up really well in the heat and makes for a great lunch for work as well. So the next time you are asked to bring a side for a picnic outdoors, consider making this!

Orzo with Chickpea Salad (serves 4)



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
  • 3 TB fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 TB cold water
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. bottled minced garlic 
Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Combine pasta, onions, cheese, dill, and chickpeas in a large bowl, tossing gently to combine.

Combine juice and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment