Saturday, August 23, 2014

When Farmers' Markets' Give you Tomatoes...You Make Jam!

There are a few cooking principles that I try to live by.

1) Buy and eat produce when it's in season. It's far better, often cheaper, and that's how it really should be done.

2) If you took the time to make something once, and it was so good it was worth repeating, you should do that.

3) And when you make something in a large quantity, you should share the wealth. And freeze what's left.

This rainy Saturday, I decided to do just that. Tomatoes are in abundance right now and not only do I have a few dinner events this week to look forward to, but I also wanted to plan ahead and make something that I could freeze for a party I'm throwing in September.

So I decided to resurrect my tomato jam recipe that I'd been waiting for the right weekend to make. You can find my original post with the recipe here. It's time intensive, but the end result is worth it. I will be serving on melba toast with chevre cheese for today's BBQ and other upcoming festivities. So if you have the time and a ton of tomatoes, make this soon! And if you have canning equipment...I'm jealous. But use it. This would be a great jam to have on hand for the holiday season.

So that's my jam. My sloooooooow jam. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment