Monday, April 16, 2012

Citrus Glazed Salmon with Avocado Salad

When it comes to food, I don't discriminate based on looks. It can be a sloppy plate of food with a variety of components melding together, and I'll still eat it. I also have an appreciation for food that looks too pretty to eat (but I eat it anyway!). When I decided to cook this dish the other night, I  reviewed the recipe on my friend's blog, www.macheesmo.com. His pictures made this look so appealing and I can't even begin to compete with his presentation. However, what I did end up with was a pretty dish of food...and the avocado salad, which was basically a deconstructed guacamole, is something I will definitely make again.

Citrus Glazed Salmon with Avocado Salad (serves 4)


Ingredients
  • 1-2 pounds fresh salmon fillet
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 2 limes, juice only
  • 1 lemon, juice only
  • 2 TB rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • 2 inches fresh ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 avocados
  • 1/4 red onion, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • Handful of cilantro, minced
  • Pinch of salt
Directions:

For the glaze, add orange juice, lemon juice, juice of 1 lime, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, scallions, ginger and garlic to a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar is dissolved. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes until glaze is reduced to 1/3. Strain sauce.

For salad, finely dice red onion, cilantro and jalapeno, add a pinch of salt and mix with juice 1 lime. Slice the avocado and put onion/jalapeno mixture on top. Set aside.

Grill salmon, skin side up, over high heat, for about 3-4 minutes. Flip. Once flipped, start brushing on glaze. Continue to brush on glaze until salmon is finished - about another 3 minutes.

Serve salmon with rice and avocado salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment