Friday, April 20, 2012

Curried Chicken Salad


I’ll be the first to admit that cooking all this food can get expensive. Granted, I’m saving money by not eating out all the time, however, food isn’t cheap, especially in an area like Washington, D.C. Every so often, I try to cook out of what I have left over from various recipes. In this case, I had a small chicken breast in my freezer, raisins and a few apples. What resulted was a very easy dish where the only new item I had to purchase was celery. I’m not the biggest fan of mayo-based dishes but this called for so little mayo that I wasn’t completed grossed out.

Curried Chicken Salad (serves 2)



Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 4 oz chicken
  • 1 tsp parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 1/2 TB lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 3/4 cup chopped apple (I used a Granny Smith)
  • 1/3 cup diced celery
  • 3 tablespoons raisins
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Instructions:

Combine parsley, thyme, lemon juice, and pepper in a bag and marinate 4 oz chicken for 30 minutes. Then cook chicken in a skillet until fully cooked. Chopped into small pieces and refrigerate. I did this the night before so that it was fully cooled and all I needed to do was combine all ingredients and chill.

Combine mayonnaise, curry powder, and water in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add the chopped chicken, chopped apple, celery, raisins, and salt; stir mixture well to combine. Cover and chill. Serve on bread or in my case, on a bed of spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment