Monday, April 9, 2012

French Toast aka "Egg Toast"

When I was a kid, I was a pretty picky eater. I didn't eat anything green, was a big fan of bread, and tended to eat a lot of the same things over and over again. One of my FAVORITE dishes when I was a kid was my grandma's "egg toast." Egg toast was basically french toast, but cooked expertly by my grandmother who used to work in catering and was a pro in making certain dishes in the kitchen, this being my most favorite.  While I didn't spend Easter with my family, I paid tribute to my grandma by making some french toast. I'll admit, mine was probably not quite as tasty as hers ever was, but I also tried to keep it light on the butter.

French Toast  aka "Egg Toast" (serves 2-3)


Ingredients:

  • 6 thick slices of bread, I used a rustic wheat
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
Directions:

Beat together egg, milk, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.               

Heat a lightly oiled griddle of skillet over medium-high flame. I used a small pat of butter to do so.

Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides. Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment