Monday, July 8, 2013

Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad

God Bless America...and the potato!

This holiday weekend, I granted myself a hall pass on healthy eating. Because seriously, with piles and piles of meat, grilled food, cookies, etc., it would be impossible to stick to any sort of diet. However, I tried to do my part when preparing food for a 4th of July bash at my friends' house. I was given an explicit request to not make something with mayo (or suspended in JELL-O). This was an easy request to fulfill since I too am not a fan of either, but I did want to make something fairly traditional for the holiday. I found this great potato salad recipe that did not call for mayo, but mustard, which is one of my favorite condiments of all time. So I present you the red, white and blue potato salad. Great flavor (especially when you let it sit in the fridge for a bit before serving) and quick side dish to make for your next BBQ. I adapted this recipe from one found on my friend Nick's blog: www.macheesmo.com.

 

Red, White and Blue Potato Salad (serves 4-6)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes, chopped (I opted for a bag of red, white and blue potatoes)  
  • 1/2 cup diced red onions   
  • 2 stalks celery, diced   
  • 2 TB capers   
  • 1/4 cup olive oil   
  • 1/4 cup stone ground mustard   
  • 2 TB honey  
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
Chop potatoes into about 1/2 inch pieces and boil in salted water until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Dice up red onion and celery.
In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil with mustard and honey.

When potatoes are done, drain well and add to bowl with other veggies. Pour in dressing and stir well to mix.

Add capers and season salad with salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment