Sunday, July 28, 2013

Spinach and Egg Breakfast Sandwiches

A few weeks ago, I decided to try out a simple egg sandwich recipe that my friend Nick had posted last year on his blog, www.macheesmo.com. In his instructions, he indicated several ways to freeze/store these sandwiches for a later date. I followed the instructions he provided on freezing the sandwiches whole and how to defrost when you need a sandwich.  I tested out this strategy over the weekend, following his instructions for reheating and they defrosted perfectly. 

Spinach and Egg Breakfast Sandwiches (makes 12 sandwiches)


Ingredients:

  • 12 eggs, scrambled
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 2 TB butter
  • 6-8 ounces cheese, shredded. I used white cheddar. 
  • 12 whole wheat English muffins 
 
Directions:

Scramble eggs and grease each muffin tin with a bit of butter. Add baby spinach to each tin. Just a few leaves per tin will do the trick.

Evenly divide eggs between 12 muffin tins.

Bake eggs at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes until they are cooked through.

Pop the eggs out of the tins.

To make a sandwich, toast the English muffin, add the cheese and egg. Mash the egg down a bit so it evenly covers the muffin.

Bake for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

To store these, make the sandwich and then wrap tightly in foil, and place in a plastic bag in your freezer. When you are ready to eat, place the frozen wrapped package in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes and it'll defrost perfectly. This equates to the time I need to get ready in the morning, so this may just be one of my new go-to breakfast sandwiches when I tire of my daily morning Cheerios regimen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment