Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday...An excuse to eat a lot of food.

Like many friends of mine, this Super Bowl Sunday I'll be eating my feelings. Feeling bad about my team not making it to the big game. Feeling bad about not starting my new running program this morning (there was cooking to do!) And after the amount of meat I plan to eat today, I'll be eyeing salads for the rest of the week.

I'm having a bunch of friends over for the game today and the menu includes some awesome chicken wings (recipe to follow later this week) and some sweet, meaty balls.  In fact, this recipe is one from ages ago, from a friend of my mom, and the instructions were vague at best. So here it goes...Janet's Meatballs.

Janet's Meatballs (makes a lot of balls)

Sweet, sweet meat.

Ingredients For meatballs:
  • 2.5 – 3 lbs lean ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder or garlic powder
For sauce:
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup tomato juice
  • 1 TB vinegar
  • 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
  • salt & pepper 
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, combine meatball ingredients and form small balls.

Combine sauce ingredients, whisking to combine.

Pour sauce over meatballs in large baking dish. I used a disposable foil pan to minimize the mess, because the sugar in the sauce will cause it to stick.

Bake for 2 hours at 350. Cover for first 90 minutes or so and then uncover.

Seriously, it's that easy. And that good.

My attempt at an artsy ball shot. That's what she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment