The following recipe covers several bases.
1) It's easy.
2) It's healthy.
3) It uses very basic ingredients, most of which you may have sitting in your cupboard.
4) Did I mention it's easy?
Orzo with Artichokes and Pine Nuts (serves 4)
- 1 1/2 cups orzo (10 oz)
- 3 TB pine nuts
- 1 (14-oz) can whole artichoke hearts (not marinated)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TB red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
Cook orzo in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander.
While orzo cooks, lightly toast pine nuts in a dry small skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 1 minute, then coarsely chop.
Drain artichoke hearts in a large sieve and rinse well. Pull off leaves from bases of hearts and quarter bases. Rinse leaves and bases well, then drain thoroughly.
Stir together oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add orzo, pine nuts, artichokes (leaves and bases), parsley, and zest and toss to combine.