This particular watermelon side dish has a few different elements to it, but involves the same general concept: salt and sweet is always a winning combo in my playbook. So give this salad a whirl the next time you're asked to bring something light to accompany a heavier summer meal.
Watermelon and Cucumber Salad (serves 6 as side dish)
- 6 cups watermelon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped watercress
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 1 medium English cucumber, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 TB chopped fresh mint
- 2 TB chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TB fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 oz reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
Combine watermelon, watercress, onion and cucumber in a large bowl.
Combine mint, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add juice mixture and salt to watermelon mixture; toss gently to coat.
Sprinkle with feta; garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.