Sunday, July 22, 2012

Blueberry Struesel Muffins

This morning I relished in the fact that it was below 75 degrees at the decent hour of 9 a.m. so I pushed myself to take a quick jog outside, telling myself the entire time that I would reward myself by making these muffins. I've been watching my carb intake for awhile, but breakfast time for me usually involves cereal which, let's admit it, after a while gets old. So these muffins will serve me well for lunch for the week and will freeze the other half for another time. These are fairly light as far as muffins go, but the big selling point for me on taste is the streusel topping. It truly makes the muffins worth the extra calories.

Blueberry Streusel Muffins (makes 12)



Ingredients:

     
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup light sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 2 TB butter, melted

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place muffin liners in a 12-hole muffin tin.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat egg with 3/4 cup of the sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and beat until thoroughly combined; blend in vanilla extract.

Add hal of flour mixture and half of milk to sugar mixture; beat until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture and milk, beat until smooth.

Fold in blueberries and fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full; set aside.

To make streusel topping, combine remaining 1/4 cup each of the sugar and flour in a small bowl. Pour in melted butter and combine with fingertips. Divide crumb mixture over muffins; gently press into top of muffin batter.

Bake until slightly golden and toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans for about 10-15 minutes and then transfer muffins onto racks to cool completely.

Or you can be like me and eat them warm and turn your fingers blue. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment