Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Watermelon and Basil Salad

This weekend I attended a baby shower for my old roommate Amanda and was asked to bring a watermelon. Since I can't just simply bring a watermelon AND justify a blog post out of it, I decided to make a simple watermelon basil salad. While there were a lot of recipes that included these simple ingredients with the addition of feta (which I'm filing away in my memory for another time), in respect for the mama-to-be, I decided to forego the feta. And it's hard for me to say no to cheese. The rest of the menu included some great barbecue so on a hot DC day, this was refreshing and right on point.

This recipe, courtesy of Marcus Samuelsson, proves that you don't need to overload with a bunch of ingredients in order to make a tastefully complex dish. Though I'm guessing the fresh basil I picked up didn't hurt.

Watermelon and Basil Salad


Ingredients:

  • 4 cups watermelon, cut into cubes
  • Handful basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt, I like the coarse, crystal variety to give it some texture
  • Black pepper

Directions:

Place watermelon and basil in a salad bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine thoroughly.


No comments:

Post a Comment