Thursday, August 30, 2012

Caprese Salad

Right now is a great time to get heirloom tomatoes at my farmer's market. These tomatoes (while a bit pricey) come in an array of shapes and colors, some orange, some yellow, and all a little lopsided. :) This post is not so much a recipe, but just basic instructions on how to make a simple caprese salad. You can adjust the servings sizes accordingly, but this is what I did for one lunch sized caprese salad. And look how pretty it is!

Caprese Salad


Ingredients

  • Heirloom tomatoes (for one serving, I used 2)
  • Mozzarella (3 oz for two tomatoes was my best estimate)
  • Fresh basil (one solid basil leaf per tomato slice)
  • Olive Oil
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Sea Salt
  • Pepper

Directions

Thickly slice the tomatoes and mozzarella, stacking as shown with a basil leaf. Sprinkle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over top (I did about half a teaspoon of each). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve.

I'm making this again this weekend. Makes a truly delightful weekend lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment