Monday, August 20, 2012

Simple Chicken Curry

As I mentioned last week, I decided to get back in the kitchen this week after a bit of a hiatus brought on my work projects, and other distractions (such as a mediterranean fast food place that opened up in the neighborhood). With a large pack of chicken to go through, I opted to make two different chicken dishes this week. The first is a simple chicken curry. I received this recipe from a coworker who is on the paleo diet. In keeping with that theme, I went carb free and served it over sugar snap peas.

This is appropriate for my next bit of news...I'm officially going to Thailand in October!  I am beyond excited for the food and have plans to take a cooking class while I'm there. I will no doubt chronicle all these food tidbits in this blog.

Simple Chicken Curry (serves 4)



Ingredients:

  • 1 lb chicken, cubed
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
  • 1 cup coconut milk, I opted for light
  • 3 TB fresh basil leaves, torn

Directions:

Combine spices in a small bowl and set aside.

Saute chicken until it’s nicely browned and cooked through. I used a non-stick spray on the pan, but no oil.

Take the meat out of the pan, and throw in the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Stir fry until tender and onions are translucent. Be careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the chicken back into the pan and add the spices. Stir fry until fragrant; about a minute.

Add the coconut milk and basil leaves. Simmer until the meat is cooked through and the sauce thickens a bit. Serve over vegetables and/or rice.

1 comment:

  1. Having Problems FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Want to munch on healthy delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

    Download your awesome Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete